SELECT ISSUE

MÆDICA - a Journal of Clinical Medicine | Vol. 9, nr. 2, 2014

ISSN 1841-9038  |  e-ISSN 2069-6116
ISSN-L 1841-9038
CNCSIS - CMR - B+

HIGHLIGHTS

Plagiatul – in actualitate

Tema plagiatului este tot mai mult discutata in ultima vreme. Aparitia unor programe performante de cautare si identificare a similitudinilor intre texte [...]

Committe on Publication Ethics

A forum for responsible and ethical research publishing – Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors.

Members Area


Treatment Options for Severe Epistaxis, the Experience of Coltea ENT Clinic

, , and

ABSTRACT

Objectives: The study presents the experience of the Coltea ENT Clinic with the most common emergency in ENT pathology.

Materials and methods: This a retrospective study including a group of 242 patients that were submitted in Coltea ENT Clinic during 2012 with anterior or posterior epistaxis.

Results: The study group comprises 51.24% women and 48.76% men with 73.14% of patients (177) coming from urban areas and the remaining 26.86% (65) from rural areas. The total number of days of hospitalization is 1411, representing an average of 5.83 days / patient. Epistaxis was anterior in 80.17% of cases (194 patients) and antero-posterior in 19.83% (48 patients). 132 patients, representing 54.55% presented elevated blood pressure whereas liver and hematological disorders are uncommon etiologies. Therapeutic interventions are mostly non-surgical 207 (85.54%), the remaining 35 cases (14.46%), requiring surgery.

Conclusions: Epistaxis associated with high blood pressure is found in 54.55% of the study group. In 38.02% of cases the etiology cannot be determined. Pluri-factorial etiology is common. The most difficult to control were the cases with epistaxis of hepatic etiology, in which cases the surgical solution was required.

Full text | PDF

Leave a Reply